(By Pastor Dupe Akindele)
Our focus for this month is “Walking in the Light” with anchor scriptures from Psalm 43:3 and Proverbs 4:18. Three obvious facts about light are that: (1). Light reveals (2). Light is the opposite of darkness. (3). Light refers to truth, purity, holiness while darkness refers to terror, lies and is of the devil.
Jesus is the Light of the world and if we believe in Him, we will never be in darkness. (John 8:12b; John 9:5; John 12:46) The hymn “Trust and Obey” says: When we walk with the Lord, in the light of His Word, what a glory He sheds on our way. In other words, we receive his glory when we walk in the light of His word. The scripture says “We are the light of the world (Matthew 5:14; Ephesians 5: 8) One thing is to walk in the light; another thing is to walk successfully in the light. For example, Enoch walked successfully with God. (Genesis 5:22-25)
Things to do to ensure we walk successfully in the light: –
- The intensity of the light you are walking in must be high: There are different types of light and they carry different intensities. God expects the intensity of your light to be high, as reflected in your passion for Him, just as it was when you met Him the first time and you gave your life to Him. (Revelation 3:14-16; Daniel 12: 3)
- Your distance from your source of light must not diminish: You must ensure you keep close to your source of light. Sin can keep you distant from your source of light. (Isaiah 59: 2; Psalm 5: 5) King Solomon started well but his love for women made him end up in a wrong place. (1 Kings 11:1-3)
- Remove any obstacle between you and your source of light: Guard your source of light jealously. (1 Peter 5:8)The devil is going about seeking whom to devour. (John 10:10), therefore we have to be vigilant. (Matthew 13:25)
- Do not step out of the ray of light: Stay in the presence of the One who is the light. (Leviticus 6:12-13) Judas Iscariot started well but stepped out of the ray of light. Nothing should separate us from the light. (Romans 8: 38-39)
- Don’t just walk in the light share your light: You have been sent to shine the light to someone. (Act 8: 26-39). You are somebody’s Philip.
- Make your light obvious to people: Let there be something in you that reflects God’s work in you. (Matthew 5:14-15) Souls are yearning to be saved therefore share your light.
- Rekindle your light regularly: It is important to rekindle your light regularly so that you will not go back to darkness. (Proverb 26:11) We can do this through studying the word of God. (Psalm 119:105,130). We have been called out of darkness into His marvellous light. (1 Peter 2: 9)
- Walk with eternity in view. Only those in the book of life will reign with Him in eternity. (Revelation 20:12-15).Even the smallest sin can disqualify somebody from reigning with Him eternally.
In conclusion, are we set for the second coming of Jesus Christ? You have to know God first before walking with Him. Therefore, the starting point to walking with Him is to give your life to Him. Let your name be written in the book of life. Can Jesus boast about you as He did about Job? Give your life now and start your walk in the light.