(read Genesis 14:11-24)
1. Whenever we step out of God’s will, we lose His protection, and cannot expect that the choice we make will be for our lasting good. (verses 11 –12)
2. Never take advantage of others because of your selfish interest, Lot took advantage of his uncle Abram and lost all his possessions in one day (verse 12)
3. Friendship with the world is enmity with God. Lot was a sojourner among the Sodomites and so he shared in their punishment and sufferings. (verse 12)
4. We need to show concern for our brethren when in trouble; Abram acted immediately to rescue his nephew Lot from his captors. (verse 14)
5. We should always be prepared to fight the good fight of faith; Abram was battle ready and he was no stranger to military strategies. (verse 15)
6. We must show true love to one another, Abram’s affection for Lot was his chief motive as he readily risked his life for his nephew. (verse 15)
7. When we walk in Gods covenant, we suffer no permanent losses. Abram recovered everything, the possessions, the people and the prodigal Lot. (verse 16)
8. God rescued us from damnation and took all the spoils from the enemy just as Abram did for Lot. (verse 16)
9. When we have received great mercy from God, we should learn to show gratitude. Melchizedek blessed Abram out of his resources and in turn Abram gave him a tenth of all his spoil. (all his assets and not just his income) (verse 20)
10. We must emulate the attitude of mutual blessings as believers; Do good unto others especially those of the household of faith. (verse 20)
11. Allow God alone to take all the glory for your wealth and success. (verse 23)
There is a lot at stake
1. When you live near sin, you experience the downfall of sin as well. (2 Corinthians 6:14)
2. When God does something great through us, do not take the credit. It was not your might, or your power, or your creativity that brought about such a great victory. It was God’s power working through you. Give Him the glory. Give Him the praise. (Zechariah 4:6)
3. When Abram gave the tithe to Melchizedek, he was actually giving it to God Most High. This is the way tithes work. When you tithe, you are tithing not to the church, and not to the pastor. You are tithing to God. (Leviticus 27:30-34)
4. Temptations often come right after the blessing.
Jesus was baptized by John in the Jordan River. The Holy Spirit descended out of heaven like a dove upon him, and God the Father spoke out loud, “This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased.” That was the blessing. That was a mountain top experience. But then, Luke 4:1 says that he was immediately led into the wilderness to be tempted. The worst temptations always come right after the victory, right after the blessings. In 1 Kings 18, Elijah sees a great victory over the prophets of Baal. But in 1 Kings 19, he is hiding out in the wilderness for fear of his life. He was afraid that God would not protect him from the Jezebel.
5. The king of Sodom was trying to take the place of God and bring discredit to the name of God through a sly trick, and Abram saw right through it. He abandoned his rights and chose instead to serve God. (2 Corinthians 2:11; Ephesians 1:18)
6. Melchizedek thanks Abram in verse 19 by blessing him, and then gives credit to God in Heaven, for it is only because of God that Abram was able to defeat the enemy and rescue Lot. (1 John 5:4; Deut. 20:4)
7. Abraham faced two wars in chapter 14, and with God’s help, came through both victoriously. He defeated the enemies and conquered a temptation. Why? Because in both situations, he trusted and relied on God. Whether you are facing a physical threat or a spiritual battle, your approach should be the same – trust in God, rely upon Him for the strength and wisdom to make it through.
1. Father, help me to do good unto others and be my brothers’ keepers at all times.
2. In whatever way I have acted like Lot dining and whining with the enemies, Lord liberate me today so that I will not suffer unduly.
3. Lord please deliver and rescue me from every ugly situation that I may be in right now. Rescue my family members and all that belongs to us, rescue us as a nation from this pestilence called coronavirus that is wasting lives, rescue all our members from any form of captivity immediately. Powers holding my family members and sibling’s captive should be annihilated now in Jesus name.
4. Lot was taken away in captivity together with all that he had, Lord command every power that wants to keep me in bondage with all that is mine to shut down today. I refuse to be limited in life.
5. Lot’s choice brought him calamity and turmoil, let us pray that God would enable us to make choices that would honour him and bring him glory.
6. Father, you are my battle axe, in all my battles this year, be it physical or spiritual, grant me sweat less victories even as i put all my trust in you.
7. Contentment is great gain, Lord help me to stay contented with the blessings you have given to me, take envy and greediness far away from me. Help me to overcome every trap of temptation the enemy may set before me or may want to lure me away from God’s presence.
8. Lord teach us to always attribute all the credit and glory to you for all our victories in life.