(Read Genesis 16:10-end)
- Although Ishmael was not the promised heir of Abram, yet he partook of God’s promises to Abram. We too can partake of generational blessings from where we were born or corporate blessings due to how we position ourselves. (verse 10).
- God does not like us to treat others badly especially those under our care. We are expected to love our neighbours as ourselves, but Sarah was clearly lacking in this regard. (verse 11).
- God told Hagar to name her son Ishmael (meaning “God hears”). No matter who we are, God hears our cries of distress when we cry out to Him. (verse 11)
- When humans try to help God, it can only lead to unexpected trouble. Ishmael (who is the ancestor of the Arabs today) was prophesised as the son that would be against everyone and everyone would be against him. (verse 12). The effects are still felt worldwide today.
- Heaven and earth will pass away but God’s words would not pass away. We can still see the uncountable number of Ishmael’s descendants today. (verse 12).
- God can talk to anyone irrespective of background. God spoke to Hagar despite being a slave girl and possibly an unbeliever. (verse 13).
- Our God is omnipotent and omnipresent. He sees everything and nothing is hidden from him. (verse 13).
- The names of God are countless. We too can give praiseworthy names to God based on how he has answered our prayers. (verse 13).
- We should always be grateful for God’s blessings. Hagar named the well God provided “the well of the Living One who sees me”. (verse 14) NLT
- Age is not a barrier to achieve whatsoever we want to achieve in life. (verse 16).
God loves us all
- Despite the hardship Hagar faced God told her to go back and submit to her master. We too should submit to those God has put over us as leaders or rulers. (Ephesians 6:2; Romans 13:1)
- God is not a respecter of persons. Despite Hagar being a slave, yet God sent his angel to her and also promised her and her descendants, great blessings. We should not let our sins or situations discourage us from seeking God especially in time of help as God is ready to abide in us if we abide in him. (John 15:4; Isaiah 1:18)
- Some blessings of God carry other implied blessings. God’s blessings to Hagar also implied a promise of protection, boldness, freedom etc. (Exodus 14:14; Isaiah 40:31).
- We should have absolute faith in God’s promises and not try to cut corners. Ishmael became the ancestor of the Arabs, just as his half-brother Isaac would later become the ancestor of the Jews. This makes the conflict between Arabs and Jews even more tragic and still a threat to world peace. We should be patient to see manifestation of God’s promises. (Philippians 4:6; Jeremiah 29:11)
- God has a plan for everyone. We could see prophesies for both Isaac and Ishmael being fulfilled in the world today. Ditto for any prophesies that we too might have received concerning our lives, although they may tarry, they would eventually be fulfilled. (Habakkuk 2:3; 2 Peter 3:9)
- God stepped into Hagar’s matter even though she did not expect it. The name Ishmael means ‘God hears’. We too should take all our worries and anxieties to God in our time of need. (Psalm 46:1-3; Proverbs 8:10)
- God moves in mysterious ways. One may argue that Ishmael’s conception was because of sin and unbelief; but God could have erased him from the story, but He chose not to.
(Psalm 147: 4-5: Jeremiah 10: 12-13)
- The angel prophesised that the life of Hagar’s son would not be easy, but God would still look after him and sustain him. If God could do this for Hagar’s son how much more ourselves His bonafide children. (Psalm 145: 16-17; Colossians 1:17)
- The unfavourable side effect of angel’s prophesy is that Ishmael would be a wild man, his hand shall be against every man, every man’s hand against him. We could see this in the violence and murder among Arabs themselves. They kill each other even more than they kill Jews and Christians. We should therefore pray for peace and for God to bring salvation to the Arabs. (Colossian 3:15; Galatians 5:22)
- Hope long delayed makes the heart sick; Father, answer my prayers speedily.
- God locate me and bless me together with my household and all members of Freedom Arena.
- Father, increase my faith in you.
- Father, instil in us Your spirit of humility so that I can obey those you have placed in authority over us.
- Father, increase my patience in you so that I do only those things that pleases you.
- God, as you stepped into Hagar’s matter in time of distress, step into my matters too and turn my situation around for good.
- Father, let your peace reign over the earth. Bring your peace to all lands, tribes and nations.