(Read Genesis 16:1-9)
- As children of God our current situation is not our final situation. Sarai was reported here as having no children, but God turned things around for her in the end. (Verse 1)
- When things are not going well, we should not be quick to conclude God has brought negative situations to us. Sarai said the Lord hath restrained her from bearing (Verse 2)
- Temptation/ misdirection could come from those close to us. We must be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit at all times. Sarai, Abram’s wife asked him to go into Hagar her maid. (Verse 2)
- Always pray and ask the Holy Spirit for direction before taking any advice that you have been given. Abram harkened to Sarai to go into Hagar (Verse 2). It was not reported that he sought the face of God on this issue.
- When we do good we should do it as unto God and not man as those we do good to may not appreciate it. We should know that God would always reward every good deed we do. Rather than appreciate Sarai, Hagar despised her. (Verse 4)
- When we are blessed, we must not look down on those who are yet to be blessed the way we have been favoured. We should know everything we have, has been given by God. (Verse 4).
- God is merciful and will always deliver us when we find ourselves in difficult situations. Despite what she had done, the angel of God still found Hagar to give her instructions. (Verse 7)
- God is no respecter of persons and never far from us. He is always willing to help us in whatever situation we find ourselves. God sent his angel to Hagar a slave who had despised her master and then ran away. (Verse 7)
- We cannot hide our sins/mistakes from God. God is all knowing and sees whatever we do. Hagar did not confirm to the angel she despised her master, but the angel knew and told her what she should do (Verse 8)
- We must be ready to listen and take instructions as God is always speaking to us. God spoke through the angel to Hagar giving her specific instructions to submit herself to her master (Verse 9)
Let your obedience be complete
- As children of God the current negative situation in which we may find ourselves is not the final situation of our lives. Our God specialises in turning bad situations to good ones. (Psalm 30:5). He turned Esther from a slave into a queen(Esther 2:17) and Joseph from a prisoner into a Prime Minister. (Genesis 41:41-43)
- Our God is not the author of evil situations. God does not delight in denying us blessings and does not visit us with calamity. (1 Corinthian 10:13; Psalm 84:11).
- We should be careful of the people we allow to speak into our lives. It is not all counsel that is of God. (1 John 4:1)
- Though man may not reward us we must not cease doing good to others, as our heavenly father will reward us in the end. (Mathew 6:4)
- We are all equal before God we should therefore be humble with whatever we have and in whatever position we find ourselves. We should emulate Jesus Christ the Son of God humbled himself to the point of dying for us. (Romans 12:16, 1 Peter 5:6)
- We deceive ourselves if we think we van hide our sins from God. As children of God we must confess our sins before him and ask him to have mercy upon us. (Romans 6:1, Proverbs 28:13)
- We must not seek for alternatives when we think the blessing of God for our lives is delayed. Delay is not denial.(Habakkuk 2:3) It is only the blessing of God that abides. (James 1:17)
- We must always position ourselves in a position or place where God can speak to us. Our spiritual antenna must always be ready to receive from God. (2 Timothy 3:16, Romans10:17)
- We should not be too proud to apologise when we are wrong. (Romans 12:3, Philippians 2:3)
- We must be always ready to carry out the instructions of God. Our blessings lie in our total obedience to his word. (Luke 11:28, Deuteronomy 27:10, Jeremiah 7:23)
- Father let every covenant you have for my life come to pass and no longer be delayed in the Name of Jesus.
- Father terminate every evil source of delay in my life in the name of Jesus.
- Father let your spirit guide everyone who speak or offer me advice in Jesus name
- Father make me sensitive to seek your face in every decision I make in Jesus name
- Lord Jesus please let me have a heart of gratitude at all times
- Father help me to be humble all my days in Jesus name
- Lord Jesus show me your mercy and come to my rescue in difficult times
- Father do not deal with me according to my iniquities but come to my rescue at all times in Jesus name
- Father give me the enablement to run away from sins and remain pure in your sight in Jesus name
- Father help me to have a sensitive spirit to always listen out when you speak to me